Allan practices in the area of civil and commercial litigation, administrative law and pension law with a focus on transportation and contract related matters (including counsel work, commercial agreements and regulatory and Court appearances). He has extensive experience in final offer arbitration regarding the establishment of rail freight rates and regularly represented national lobby groups on matters related to rail transportation. Allan has also worked with government agencies regarding the development of rail transportation policies on behalf of shippers and shipper lobby groups.
In his spare time, Allan is an avid Blue Jays fan. He also enjoys spending time with his children and travelling.
- Extensive experience in final offer arbitrations of freight rate disputes on behalf of shippers.
- Prepared and presented submissions to Senate Standing Commission.
- Prepared and presented submissions to House of Commons Standing Committee on Transportation and the Senate Standing Committee on Transport dealing with proposed regulatory changes to transportation legislation.
- Prepared and delivered submissions and appeared before the Canada Transportation Act Review Panel.
- Advice, preparation and litigation of level of service disputes.
- Advice, preparation and litigation of shipper relief remedies including ancillary charges complaint, interswitching issues and running rights.
- Preparation of complaints and legal argument for filing with the Canadian Transportation Agency on discontinuance and abandonment of branch rail lines.
- One of lead counsel in establishing international cargo airline.
- Advice and Litigation of air accident claims.
- Drafted specific use Bills of Lading for carriers and shippers together with related regulatory approvals for implementation.
- Licensing of Motor Transport operations including arranging for registration in required jurisdictions (Canada and the United States of America).
- Litigation of Bill of Lading issues.
- Regularly represented shippers regarding Canadian transportation including interswitching issues and rates.
- Provided advice regarding the operation of airport authorities.
- Establishment, wind up, surplus distribution, governance, and entitlement for pension claims for plans
- Advice to: Sponsors, Employers, Unions, Jointly Trusteed Board
- Called to the Manitoba Bar, 1987
- University of Manitoba, LL.B., 1986
- University of Manitoba, B.A. (Economics), 1983
Special Achievements and Awards
- Awarded 2014 Zenith Award by Lexpert Magazine for recognition of a career achievement in rail and road transportation law.
- Named in the 2011–2017 editions of Best Lawyers International for Transportation Law
- Repeatedly recommended for Transportation Law in the 2012 Lexpert Directory onwards
- Awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medal in 2012 for contribution to the community and legal profession
- Manitoba Bar Association, Honorary Life Council Membership
- Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair of Young Lawyers Subsection of Manitoba Bar Association
- Organizer, Manitoba Bar Association annual meetings (1993–1994)
- Course Lecturer, University of Manitoba/Transport Institute, Legal Issues in Transportation (1999–present)
- Course Instructor, University of Manitoba Faculty of Law, Transportation Law (2000–2001)
- Board of Governors, St. Paul’s College- University of Manitoba (2015-present)
- Board Member, St. Johns-Ravenscourt School Foundation Inc. (2012–2017)
- Board Member, Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute Manitoba (2009–2018)
- Regular Contributor, Western Canadian Highways News (2009–present)
- Board Member, West Canitest R & D Inc. (2012 – 2013)
- Board Member and Past President, Manitoba Theatre for Young People (1997–2006)
- Presenter, Manitoba Safety Council, “Exercising Due Diligence in Road Transportation: Assigning Responsibilities in Regulatory and Civil Matters” (December 2002)
- New US Hours of Service Regulations: Cost vs. Safety”, Western Canada Highway News (23 December 2013)
- “Slow Down and Move Over Laws: Protecting Those Who Protect You”, Western Canada Highway News (13 June 2013)
- “CBSA's New EManifest Requirements: Is Your Company Prepared?”, Western Canada Highway News (6 January 2013)
- “Hours of Service – US Rule Revisions”, Western Canada Highway News (19 June 2012)
- “Privacy Revisited: Managing Drivers Personal Information”, Western Canada Highway News (15 June 2011)
- “Paying Attention”, Western Canada Highway News (24 November 2010)