Hugh Adams is a senior corporate and commercial lawyer. Hugh is a qualified commercial and residential real estate lawyer with experience including condominium conversions and property development. Hugh assists both public and private clients with corporate governance compliance, secured financings, corporate acquisitions and reorganizations in both Canada and the United States.
With extensive public company experience, Hugh provides timely and proactive advice to boards of directors on matters of governance and regulatory compliance. He acted as the Corporate Secretary for The Arctic Group Inc. from 1997 until 2002, where this public issuer first listed on the Alberta Stock Exchange and subsequently when it listed on the more senior Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE). In 2002 he became Corporate Secretary and lead Canadian counsel to Arctic Glacier Income Fund, continuing his responsibilities to the Board of Trustees and Fund Committees and remaining responsible for all continuous disclosure compliance including insider trading reporting.
Hugh recently received his Master of Laws (Osgoode Hall Law School) specializing in arbitration and mediation. He acts as arbitrator and mediator in commercial and estate disputes that would otherwise have to be resolved through the litigation process.
Hugh is married with two children and is very active in the equestrian community. He spends much of his free time traveling with his family to horse shows within Manitoba and throughout North America. When he is not at the “barn” he is an avid sailor and enjoys construction and gardening projects.
- Represents local and national clients with respect to real property, commercial leasing and secured lending transactions including financing and re-financing of large commercial shopping centers.
- Has represented municipalities and towns, providing advice regarding governance issues, policies, by-laws and capital projects.
- Represents individuals and corporations in relation to farm land leasing, development and financing including all aspects of property management including taxation, ownership restrictions, acquisitions and dispositions.
- Represents individuals and corporations with respect to farm land husbandry issues, environmental concerns, property development and restrictions.
- Lead counsel with regard to significant asset and share acquisitions and dispositions both in Canada and in the United States.
- Participation as counsel in multi-party mediations and arbitrations including class actions and insurance related matters.
- Represents publicly traded corporations with regard to matters of corporation governance, public company filings and compliance including development of board policies regarding conflict of interest, governance matters generally and best practices.
- Recipient of the TMA (“Turnaround Management Association”) award as counsel for the transaction of the year – midsize company for 2013.
- LL.B. 1977 Manitoba, Robson Hall
- LL.M. 2017 Ontario, Osgoode Hall
- Past Chair, National CBA Legislation and Law Reform and Constitution Committees
- Corporate Secretary and lead Canadian Counsel, Arctic Glacier Income Fund (2002-present)
- Member, Isaac Pitblado Lecture Series organizing committee (2006)
- Corporate Secretary, The Arctic Group Inc. (1997-2002)
- The Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Life council member, Canadian Bar Association
- American Association of Corporate Counsel
PAPERS & PRESENTATIONS
- Occasional lecturer, University of Manitoba Faculty of Law
- Presenter, “Going Global – Advising Clients Doing Business Beyond Borders,” Isaac Pitblado Lecture Series (2006)
- Has appeared frequently as an expert in various legal proceedings